Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Our perceptions can no longer be our realities

In case you're wondering why I haven't written anything in a while it's because I was out of town at a summer camp called YAC.  YAC stands for Youth Adventure Camp and takes place every year here in PA.  I had the privaledge of attending this years camp and would like to take a few moments here to share from some of my experiences.  Firstly, the campground is located in beautiful Ulysses, PA.  Which for us, was a good five hours away.  Being my first time at YAC, I really didn't know what to expect.  Although I had been to similar camps before, I can honestly say that nothing prepares you for a week of low ropes courses, high ropes courses, rock climbing, repelling, ziplining, cave exploring, team challenges, running, playing, jumping, sweating, eating, worshiping, loving, laughing, singing, praying and no sleeping!

I can't remember the last time I had so much fun continually.  There were around 100 or so students who attended this year and they were awesome!  In the midst of all the games and fun was a constant theme of you are valued, loved and cherished by God.  Although that might seem like a very tyipcal theme one might find at a Christian camp...something struck me about how these particular students recieved this message.  It was almost as if they had never heard that before or if they had, they didn't really believe it.  A lot of these students attend church regularly, go to youth group and love God.  But on the inside, they're broken, lost and hurting.

I would venture to say that almost 75% of all the students there were from broken homes.  It was heart breaking to say the least to see and hear the pain that these students carry with them every day.  Many are growing up without fathers who love them and it's taking a toll.  I had seven boys in my cabin, and only one still had a dad at home.  It's getting worse folks...not better.  Our perceptions can no longer be our realities.  Much of us in the church have stuck our heads in the sand of religion and tradition all the while this generation is growing up with no clear picture of what it means to be a family or how to love.

I have one question for the body of Christ today...where are the spiritual fathers and mothers?  Is there anyone who will make a difference in the lives of these who are fatherless and motherless?  We can no longer sit idly by Church!  If there is hope, if there is an answer, if there is one God and one Lord, we should accept the great challenge before us!  My encouragement to us all is that we make time every day to love and encourage those who need a father or mother in their lives.  Let's be a people who reach out, who love, who bless and who mend the broken.  Amen?

No comments:

Post a Comment