Saturday, May 26, 2012

My Little Girl

They don't come much sweeter or more pretty than my little girl, Jael.  Needless to say, she is the apple of my eye.  And, as her mother always says, she has me wrapped around her little finger.  Well, it's true.  I will not deny it.  As a matter of fact, we just celebrated her sixth birthday.  I can't believe it's been that long since we brought her home from the hospital, but it has.  You know, I am constantly reminded by my kids of the great responsibility we all share as parents.

When you really stop and think about it, it's just plain scary.  Fortunately for us, we already had Hayden and a little experience under our belts by the time Jael came along.  I'm not going to lie, it was tough.  A new child always is in their own way.  But you know what, every time I look at my kids, it's like I'm reminded of how truly awesome God is.  For those of you who don't have kids yet, you'll more fully understand what I'm talking about later on in your life's journey.  Children just have a way of putting things into perspective.  Ok, I get it, it's not all about me.

I believe, that if we really allow God to move and work in our lives, He will find very creative ways of teaching us the lessons we need to learn.  Like, patience.  That can be a hard pill to swallow.   However, when you have kids, it's like either you get it or don't...and eventually you have to.  Kids require a lot of patience.  I'd like to pause for a moment and give a huge shout out to my mother who had to put up with me for 18 years.  Love you mom!  Anyway, back to patience, all of us need more.  With our kids, our spouses, our coworkers, neighbors, extended family, etc, etc. 

One of the funniest things to me about patience is...most of the time it takes way too long to acquire them. I need patience NOW!!!  Sorry, my attempt at humor.  For some of us though, they seem to be in short supply.  Funny thought, have you ever had those moments when  your kids are driving you crazy and you try to talk but the words you speak make no sense?  Evie and I usually get a good laugh out of each other when that happens.  It's like you're trying not to snap so you clinch your teeth together and move only your lips, but somehow the brain is confused by this and you end up saying things like, "I told you...what...I....stop...each other...hitting."  It happens to me at least twice a week.

In all seriousness though, patience or long suffering, which by definition is "patient endurance" is a part of our character that God wants to develop.  The hard part is, well, the developing process.  Most of us don't like it because it takes too long.  The good news is, we all must face it.  Learning how to be patient and/or patiently endure is a part of maturing in Christ.  Paul tells us in Ephesians 4:2 to " Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.

I think the key to having patience for me, is just remembering how patient my Heavenly Father is.  How long has he patiently endured my childlike, rebellious ways.  There may be someone in your life right now that perhaps rubbs you the wrong way.  Or you may find that due to increased stress, you are less and less patient with your family.  Just remember, in order to develop patience, you have to face the process...which is nothing more than opportunity after opportunity to practice patience.  That is my encouragement for you today, to practice patience.  Many blessings!

             

No comments:

Post a Comment