Tuesday, May 22, 2012

When Lightning Strikes

It was one of the most terrifying moments in my life.  I've never felt that kind of power before.  It was almost as if time stood still.  Even now, my mind can play back every second as though I were wat
ching it in real time.  I must have been around 12 years old.  A storm had just rolled through and the sky was starting to clear.  Growing up in Arkansas, I was no stranger to thunder storms.  I loved how clean the air would smell after the rain.  Sometimes the air was thick and heavy like a wet winter coat, but not this day.

Now I have to tell you about the tree.  There stood in our front yard a huge oak tree, the trunk alone was the size of two men.  On one of the limbs hung a rather large chain that my dad would use to hoist up the lawn mower when it was time to sharpen the blades.  It was a beautiful tree and had provided shade on many hot days.  It was about 50 feet from our front porch. 

So the rain had stopped, I opened the front door to step onto the porch.  I had taken about 5 steps when out of no where there was a bright flash of light and the sound of a military canon.  I will attempt now to express through words what happened next.  You know that scene in Home Alone when Kevin is running through the house with his hands in the air screaming like a banshee.  Well, that's pretty much what I looked like.  My mom was witness to my entrance back into the house.  Now, I want you to imagine being in my shoes.  You casually walk out onto your front porch, then, BANG! lightning strikes!

It was a sad day for our tree.  Apparently the rather large chain was to much for the lightning to resist.  I can say with all honesty though, it blew the bark right off that tree, we have pictures to prove it.  Isn't it funny how sometimes in life, things just happen.  Life throws us a curve and we're left wondering what to do.  A dear pastor friend of mine would always say, "Life is what happens when you're making plans".  It's true isn't it.

Sometimes lightning just strikes, and it can be scary.  Another friend of mine just wrote me and said, "My husband has decided to leave my daughter and I, please pray for us".  Wow, talk about unexpected.  As Christians, what should our response be to the unforseen events that take place in our lives?  Is there a rhyme or reason to what happens to us?  I'm sure that like me, you've asked these questions yourself.  When lightning strikes, our first response is usually to run.  Scared and perplexed, we run and hide.  Some of us run back to our old habits.  Others fiind themselves questioning their faith. 

But God gives us a promise in Deuteronomy 31:6, " Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."  I've learned over the years that no matter what comes my way, whether it be death, destruction, failure, or (fill in the blank), God will never leave me.  He will never forsake me.  As a believer, I am His.  He holds my life in His hands, and like the wonderful father He is, He will never let go.

My encouargement for you today is this, be strong and courageous!  Do not be afraid...God will never leave you nor forsake you.  That is the confidence we have because of him.  And when lightning strikes, as it is sure to do, run to God not away from Him.  "So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most."  Hebrews 4:16 NLT

 

2 comments:

  1. You need an anchor. I constant, something outside yourself that you can look at and know where you are. Without the anchor you just drift into the hopeless see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right...and the only anchor that holds is Jesus Christ! Amen!!!

    ReplyDelete